Chakras are the main centers of energy inside the body. Unblocking your chakras, refers to the idea that all of your chakras are open, and energy can run through them freely. In other words the main idea behind it is that it creates a harmony between the physical body, mind, and spirit. There are seven chakras in your body and they refer to the centers of energy and spiritual power in your body. Each chakra is located in a different part of your body and is represented by a certain color.1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Chakra meditation is thus a relaxation technique focused on bringing balance and well-being to your chakras by visually picturing each chakra and its corresponding color.
There are seven core chakras:
- Root chakra (red color);
- Sacral chakra (orange color);
- Solar plexus chakra (yellow color);
- Heart chakra (green color);
- Throat chakra (blue color);
- Third eye chakra (indigo color);
- Crown chakra (purple color).
Below we will shortly go over each of the different chakras, before diving deeper into how you can practice chakra meditation.
1. Root Chakra (Muladhara)
The root chakra represents our foundation. In the human body, it is located at the base of your spine and gives us the feeling of being grounded. When the root chakra is open, we feel confident and like we can stand on our own two feet. When it’s blocked, we often feel threatened, or other emotions that are connected to fear or insecurity.1, 3
- What it controls: Survival issues such as independence, and food
- Mantra: “I can’t grow from an unsteady foundation.”
2. Sacral Chakra (Swadhisthana)
The sacral chakra is located just below your navel. It helps inform you how you relate to your emotions and the emotions of others. It also governs creativity and sexual energy. The sacral chakra is blocked by guilt, and all things you blame yourself for.1, 3
- What it controls: Your sense of well-being and pleasure
- Mantra: “I always honor others but not before myself.”
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
The third chakra, the solar plexus chakra is located just above your navel, in your stomach. It speaks to your ability to be confident and in control of your life. The solar plexus chakra is blocked by shame and the disappointments you have about yourself. 1, 3
- What it controls: Self-worth, self-confidence, and self-esteem
- Mantra: “Self-love starts when I accept all parts of myself.”
4. Heart Chakra (Anahata)
The heart chakra is located at the center of your cardiovascular system.
This chakra is the bridge between the lower chakras which are associated with the material and the upper chakras associated with the spiritual. As the name suggests, this chakra has to do with the heart and the ability to give and receive love. The heart chakra is blocked by sadness and loss.1, 3
- What it controls: Love, joy, and inner peace
- Mantra: “When I love myself, loving others comes easily.”
5. Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
The throat chakra is as the name suggests located in the throat. The throat chakra deals with truth and is blocked by lies, especially the ones we tell ourselves. When it is open it helps you with expressing yourself. 1, 3
- What it controls: Communication, self-expression, and truth
- Mantra: “I speak my truth, always.”
6. Third-Eye Chakra (Ajna)
The third-eye chakra is located just above where your brows meet. This chakra deals with insight and is blocked by illusion. You can think of it as the eye of the soul. The third-eye chakra registers information beyond the surface level.1, 3
- What it controls: Intuition, imagination, and wisdom
- Mantra: “I am open to exploring what cannot be seen.”
7. Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
The crown chakra, the highest chakra, is located at the top of our head.
This chakra represents our ability to be fully connected to the spiritual and is blocked by attachment. When you fully open your crown chakra—something very few people ever do!— you can learn to gain complete control of your thoughts and actions.1, 3
- What it controls: Inner and outer beauty, spiritual connection
- Lesson: “I am a vessel for love and light.”
How to do a chakra meditation
1. Sit comfortably on the floor + legs folded in front of you + back straight + hands resting on your knees
2. Take a deep breath in and out
3. Imagine the red, root chakra at the base of your spine + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
4. Now focus on the orange, sacral chakra just below your navel + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
5. Focus on the yellow, solar plexus chakra just above your navel + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
6. Now focus on the green, heart chakra at the center of your cardiovascular system + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
7. Focus on the blue, throat chakra in your throat + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
8. Now focus on the indigo, third eye chakra above your eyebrows + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
9. Lastly, focus on the purple, crown chakra at the top of your head + energy flowing through it until you see it overflow with vibrant energy
10. You should feel positive energy flowing through your whole body + embrace it
Thank you for joining us today and learning about chakra meditation. If you are interested in more about transcendental click HERE. Follow us @mykeytohappiness_official on Instagram and mykeytohappiness on YouTube to stay up to date.
Do you practice chakra meditation? Let us know!
Stay healthy and safe friends!
1 Cameron, Y. (2020, April 20). The 7 Chakras For Beginners. Retrieved from mindbodygreen: https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-91/The-7-Chakras-for-Beginners.html
2 Lawrenson, A. (2019, October 3). Chakra Meditation: A Guide. Retrieved from byrdie: https://www.byrdie.com/chakra-meditation
3 mindvalley. (2019, January 25). A Beginner’s Guide To Chakra Meditation. Retrieved from mindvalley: https://blog.mindvalley.com/chakra-meditation/
4 Taber, J. J. (n.d.). Activate the 7 Chakras With This Powerful Chakra Meditation. Retrieved from consciouslifestylemag: https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/7-chakra-meditation-balancing/
5 wills, s. (2018, September 25). Chakra Meditation: How to Balance Your 7 Chakras. Retrieved from thriveglobal: https://thriveglobal.com/stories/chakra-meditation-how-to-balance-your-7-chakras/